Bridewars, while having a dynamic cast, just always fell short for me and I never thought about why until today. It's been six years since I've seen it, and I bought it in a four movie pack for "inspiration" *grins* Here is why I think it missed the mark of being a fantastic comedy.
1) The Initial "Misunderstanding"-There has to be some kind of confusion to cause the conflict, I get it. However, considering the wedding planner would have told the "other" bride what date was left (ie, the 6th) she would have already known her date, so if the mistake happened between the assistant and the venue, it would have been easy for the wedding planner to just rearrange the names. So, to me, the plot was weak.
2) The Girls' "Friendship"- The whole bridezilla angle was probably funny for some people, but this whole back stabbing shit between two best friends just made me sad. No seriously, I cried during a lot of the movie and not at the points you'd expect. "Liv" aka Kate Hudson is a selfish wench. Sure, she had good qualities, but they were just swallowed up by all the bad one. And having Emma, "the nice one" sink so low that she would actually leave her wedding to burst into Liv's and attack her, was just stupid. I love friendship movies. I love comedies. And I love romances. But this movie didn't seem to fit any of these genres well.
3) Wedding vs. Wedding- How in the hell does Liv have three bridesmaids and Emma has to beg her unpleasant coworker so she has one? Emma is by far the nicer of the two, so this puzzled me (and their friends that threw them the bridal showers didn't want to take sides so none of them were in the bridal party?) Ridiculous.
4) Fiance vs. Fiance- I was a little confused by the timeline of the couple's relationship. Emma and her fiance were supposedly together for ten years and yet, he had no idea about her wild spring break video? When did they meet and how old were they? And then the dissolution of Emma's relationship...I mean, I wanted her with Brian Greenburg because I love him and think he is hot, but they went from the fiance is a nice guy who imagines them sitting on a couch watching tv and eating chinese when they are old to controlling asshat to understanding friend? Um.....yeah, his character was all over the place for me.
5) The Resolution- And then the weddings happen, and despite all the horrible things they did to each other, it was all swept under the rug because Emma called off her wedding and Liv felt awful for her? I wanted to see more. I wanted a heart to heart, a massive apology, and honestly, I know Liv was supposed to have "grown" but all I saw was her getting her own way.
Granted, Emma ended up with the better guy, so that was a plus, and the two of them being pregnant together was cute, but there were so many holes that it fell apart for me.
What do you think? Do you love this movie or was something missing for you too?
Avid writer of small towns, true love, and laugh out loud moments. Romance novel entusiast. Addictions include Coffee, Twitter, and TV Shows.